Combrig 1/700 Armored Cruiser Dmitri Donskoy, 1885 resin kit #70147
This is a waterline 1/700 scale resin kit by Combrig Models
The Dmitrii Donskoi (Russian: Дмитрий Донской) was an armoured cruiser built for the Imperial Russian Navy. She was a sister ship of the Vladimir Monomakh. She was originally equipped with a heavy full rig of sail on three masts and bowsprit. Completed in 1885, she was modernized in 1894-95 with new armament, as her original armament was by then obsolete.
On completion the ship was deployed to the Mediterranean on completion and in 1887 went to the Far East under the command of Admiral Aleksandr Kornilov. She returned to Kronstadt in 1889 and had her sailing rig removed and replaced by lighter military masts. In 1891 she voyaged to the Far East and was based in Vladivostok. In 1893 she returned to the Mediterranean later voyaging to America for a goodwill visit to mark the 400 anniversary of America's discovery with Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich of Russia on board as officer of the watch.
She was in refit between 1895-96 with new armament and boilers installed. On recommissioning she voyaged to the Mediterranean and then to the Far East with a goodwill visit to Nagasaki, Japan in 1896. The ship participated in suppressing the Boxer Rebellion in 1900.
In 1904 she joined the second Pacific squadron and was scuttled after damage sustained in the Battle of Tsushima on 28 May 1905.